Vicks VapoRub is something we all possess in the medicine cabinet, and this cooling cream is most often used as a way to relieve aches and pains. However, it can serve hundreds of other purposes as well, as follows:
1. Fades Stretch Marks And Wrinkles
- Massage the cream on the areas affected by stretch marks once daily, and in a few weeks, they will disappear.
2. Heals Bruises
- Mix VapoRub with a little bit of salt, and massage the bruised skin.
3. Treats headaches
- Rub some Vicks on the temples and forehead for a minute, and the cooling sensation will relax you and soothe the pain.
- Apply it, turn off the lights, put a towel on the forehead, and relax for half an hour.
4. Removes Acne
- At bedtime, apply some Vicks on the acne and pimples, and in the morning, wash the face.
- Repeat until the acne is completely gone.
5. Treats toenail fungus
- Apply Vicks on the nail and put on a clean sock. Repeat until the nail grows, and then clip it.
6. Lubricates door hinges
- To stop the door from squeaking, just lubricate the hinges with this ointment.
7. Eases Earaches
- Apply some Vicks on a cotton ball and place it in the painful ear.
- Leave it for a few hours to treat the pain or a possible infection.
8. Humidifies the air in your home
- Add just a little bit of Vicks in the humidifier to freshen up the air.
9. Trains Pets
- As cats and dogs detest its smell, leave some VapoRub in places they visit to potty train them.
10. Foot Care
- Rub some Vicks VapoRub on the cracked heels at bedtime, and in the morning, wash the feet with cold water.
- Scrub away the dead skin, and then moisturize.
11. Relieves sore muscles
- Apply it on the sore muscles, and massage for a few minutes, to relieve the pain.
12. Repels Insects
- Insects hate the strong smell of Vicks, so apply it on the body to prevent insect bites and soothe the itch.
13. Gets Rid Of Fat
- Mix it with baking soda, a bit of alcohol, and camphor, and you will get a fat-burning cream that will help you eliminate fatty deposits from the belly and upper arm area.
14. Makes You Cry
- Sometimes, it is useful to cry out something stuck in the eyes, like a grain of sand, or dust.
- Just put a little bit of VapoRub under the eyes and the tears will start falling.
15. Heals Cuts Faster
- The menthol in Vicks will help you heal cuts, scrapes, and wounds faster.
- Before you start using it, Kristina Duda, RN, gives the following guidelines:
- “Vicks VapoRub is made up of camphor, menthol and eucalyptus oil.
- Camphor is poisonous when ingested. It can cause seizures or death even when just a few teaspoonfuls are swallowed.
- While most people don’t spoon feed Vicks VapoRub to their children, it can be toxic even when absorbed through the skin or mucous membranes.
- Vicks VapoRub should never be used on children under 2 years old (this is clearly stated on the package but many people ignore the warning).
- In children and adults older than 2, it should only be used on the chest — never directly under the nose.
- Cases have been reported and studies have proven that putting Vicks VapoRub directly under the nose can lead to respiratory distress or difficulty breathing.
- That’s right. The very substance you are using to try to make it easier to breathe can actually make it more difficult.
- Although you may think the risk is minimal, there are reasons that this product contains the warning that it does.